M&N Mattress and Sofa Gallery owner Mark Nagra (left) and many of the caring staff with their Small Business of the Year award from the 2022 Parksville and District Chamber of Commerce Awards.
Some awards go to the business that made the most money, or expanded its reach with the most new franchises. The Better Business Bureau (BBB) Vancouver Island Torch Awards have a different focus:
- Character — value-driven leadership & communication
- Culture — commitment to trustworthy business practices
- Customer service — strive for excellence, transparency & honesty
- Community engagement — contributions to the greater community
Mark Nagra uses those four ideas as the foundation for his own business, Parksville’s M&N Mattress and Sofa Gallery — not to put more awards on his mantle, but because he’s genuinely passionate about running an ethical business. It’s the first thing he teaches new staff during training, and the most important lesson he’s shared with his daughter Natasha, who works alongside him and his wife Neelam at the family owned Parksville store.
“When entrepreneurs or sales people ask me for advice, I always say: We have one mouth and two ears, use them in that proportion with customers. Listen to your customers, they will let you know what they are really looking for. At the top of the list will be a quality product with speedy excellent customer service before, during and after the sale,” Marks says. “Customer service also means staff are prepared with knowledge about their products, their competitors and their industry so they that can answer any questions that come up. That gives the customer confidence in your product and business. That’s how I choose our suppliers.”
The store is as committed to the community as they are to their customers.
“We’re a family business that has focused on quality B.C.- and Canadian-made products. We wouldn’t be here without our customers, our fantastic staff, and the community’s support over the last two-plus decades. We don’t take that support for granted and give back as much as we can. The way I see it, if you have the resources to support the community that has been so supportive all these years, it’s your duty to give back.”
The reason to take these actions is to run an ethical business — and many Central Islanders have clearly taken notice.
Nominations for BBB Torch Awards come from customers, with a select panel of judges choosing finalists and winners. M&N Mattress and Sofa have achieved ‘finalist’ status seven times since 2015, and won 1st place five of those years. That includes the 2020/2021 years, when the BBB combined 24 months of votes into one awards ceremony due to COVID restrictions.
The 2020/2021 BBB Torch Award and the 2017 BBB Torch Award for customer service were open to all 1400+ Vancouver Island BBB accredited business.
“To win those particular ones, those were extra special because it included all businesses, not just retail,” Mark says. “We’re extremely grateful to our community for their continued support, and feel honoured to be recognized by the BBB judges. It’s not about the awards, but it’s a sign that our integrity is making an impact.”
M&N Mattress and Sofa Gallery’s Torch Award winning streak
- 2015 — 1st Place, BBB Torch Award
- 2017 — 1st Place, BBB Torch Award for Customer Service
- 2018 — 1st Place, BBB Torch Award for Sales/Service
- 2019 — 1st Place, BE Business Excellence: Retail Business of the Year
- 2019 — 1st Place, Parksville Chamber of Commerce Award for Service Excellence
- 2020 — 1st Place, Alignable Local Business Person of the Year
- 2020/2021 — 1st Place, BBB Torch Award for Customer Service
- 2021 — Finalist, Vancouver Island BE Business Excellence Award for Retail Business of the Year
- 2022 — Finalist, BBB Torch Award for Community Service
- 2022 — Finalist, Vancouver Island BE Business Excellence Award for Retail Business of the Year
- 2022 — 1st Place, Parksville and District Chamber of Commerce, Small Business of the Year
The store also has an impressive ranking on review sites, thanks to their customers.
- 4.97 stars out of 5, from over 270 BBB reviews (A+ accreditation).
- 4.9 stars out of 5, from over 300 Google reviews.
- 4.9 stars out of 5, from 80 Facebook reviews.
“Nothing feels better than positive feedback from our customers. It puts a smile on our faces,” Mark says.
M&N Mattress and Sofa Gallery has strong relationships with many B.C.-made and Canadian-made brands including Decor-Rest, Stylus, Ironman Pure Energy Mattress, Springair and Palliser. In addition to sofas and mattresses, you’ll find cabinet beds, solid wood bedroom furniture, ERGOMOTION adjustable bases and more in store.
Visit the expert staff at M&N Mattress and Sofa at 291 East Island Highway, or get inspired at parksvillemattress.com, mnsofa.ca or ironmanmattress.ca. To catch the next giveaway, make sure to follow M&N Mattress and Sofa on Instagram @m.and.n.mattress.shop and at facebook.com/parksvillemattress.